Feb 15, 2010

Haibun: My Narrow Road To The Deep North

Some of us here may have heard of or even read Matsuo Basho's The Narrow Road To The Deep North, which is about Basho himself, as a wanderer who traveled almost endlessly until the day of his death. One of his very famous quotes is "A wanderer, let that be my name." Yeah, I do have to be honest...I HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK...yet. I could ask it for my birthday haha...

In the Philippines, there is a fairly cold place in the slightly northern part of the country. This place is Baguio City, the Philippines' "summer capital." It is so high on tourism that you can't easily tell who's native and who's not. It lies on very high ground with land spangled with pine trees. This place is also home of the eerie spirits which haunt the souls of every living....soul. I won't be getting into that anymore, sorry.

I've been to Baguio City for over a hundred times now. You may say I'm bragging but dear, who says I'm not? All my past visits have been the same, plain and short on excitement. However, a month before the summer of 2010, my family (except my brother) had to visit again for my father's rotary meeting there. This visit sure was a whole lot different and more exciting! The 12th of February was my Narrow Road To The Deep North.

In each road and street
In every mountain, plain, hill
-a wandering soul

No comments:

Post a Comment